WVSU | West Virginia State University

Transfer Students

  • Application for Admission ( click HERE for Online Application -- you must allow popups in your web browser )
  • Official High School Transcript (if you have less than 30 transferable hours from another higher education institution)
  • ACT/SAT scores (if you have less than 30 transferable hours from another higher education institution)
  • Immunization Records (for any student who has never attended another West Virginia public higher education institution)

Transfer applicants must be eligible to return to the last institution attended to be admissible to West Virginia State University. Prior to admission, official transcripts of all previously attempted college-level work must be received.  Transfer applicants with fewer than thirty semester hours of college credit also must submit an official high school transcript or GED and an ACT or SAT score. (NOTE: If English 101 and 102 or their equivalents have not been completed in the first 60 credit hours, the student must enroll in English 101/102 the first semester of enrollment at
WVSU.) Not more than seventy-two credit hours may be accepted and applied toward graduation from any combination of community and junior college credit hours.

Transfer students without complete documentation may be admitted provisionally. When the records arrive, if they indicate the student does not meet regular admissions standards, the registration will be canceled or the conditions of probation applied. Transfer students who do not have a C average may be admitted if they are eligible to return to their former institution, are deficient no more than seventeen quality points, and accept the following provisions of a
probation agreement:

  1. Must make progress toward a C average each semester
  2. Must enroll for no more than twelve hours each semester
    while on academic probation
  3. Must achieve a C average by the end of the third semester
    at West Virginia State University.

In order to receive a degree from West Virginia State University, baccalaureate transfer students must complete the last thirty hours at West Virginia State University. Associate degree students must complete the last fifteen hours at West Virginia State University.

Transcript Evaluation Procedure

Submission of a transcript(s) and subsequent acceptance to West Virginia State University does not automatically result in a course equivalency evaluation. The student must request the evaluation. The process of obtaining such an evaluation will depend upon which one of the following three categories pertains to the individual student:

  • Students majoring in some field of education and transferring to West Virginia State University should contact the chair of the Education Department (Wallace Hall, Room 627)
  • Students transferring to West Virginia State University who have not earned a B.A. or B.S. degree at another institution should contact the Registrar (Ferrell Hall, Room 127)
  • Students who have earned a bachelors degree and wish to work toward a second bachelors degree should contact the department chair of the subject area in which they wish to earn a second degree.

Students who transfer to West Virginia State University must fulfill the requirements of the curriculum they select. If courses completed at other accredited institutions correspond to the content of courses in the curriculum, they will meet curriculum requirements. Sometimes closely related courses are substituted for curriculum requirements. Often courses may be used as electives if they do not meet other degree requirements.

Once the requirements for admissions have been completed and you have been accepted you will receive information about signing up for a Registration and Advising session.

Financial Aid

Students who want assistance in filing for a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) can contact Student
Financial Assistance at (304) 204-4368. To complete the FAFSA you will need the following information:

  • Bring a copy of your social security card and a copy and birth certificate.
  • If you have received FAFSA in the past we will check to make sure you are not in default or overpayment on federal Title IV funds by searching the National Student Loan Data System.
  • Other requirements include being in compliance with institutional standards of Satisfactory Academic Progress. This can be evaluated by using a current transcript.
  • Students must be US citizens or eligible non-citizens. We can verify citizenship through a birth certificate for US citizens or through immigration or naturalization documents.
  • Men must be in compliance with the Selective Service Act by having registered with Selective Service prior to their 25th birthday. This can be verified through a Selective Service card or through the Selective Service website.

If you have questions please call Ms. Kellie Toledo at (304) 766-3262 or by e-mail at toledoke@wvstateu.edu

©2014 West Virginia State University  |  P.O. Box 1000 Institute, WV 25112-1000  |  (800) 987-2112 | Mobile Site | Webmaster