WVSU | West Virginia State University
  • About the University
  • Admission Requirements
  • Academic Support
  • International Transfer Students
  • Campus Living
  • Financial Assistance

About the University

For more than 100 years, students, staff, and faculty from around the world have found their way to West Virginia State University, recognized as the most culturally and racially diverse institution of higher education in West Virginia.

West Virginia State University, located in Institute, a suburb of Charleston, the State capital, is the largest institution of higher education in the Kanawha Valley, and serves as a major resource center for this metropolitan area. The University provides a large spectrum of undergraduate degree programs, both baccalaureate and associate.

Founded in 1891 as a Land-Grant institute, West Virginia State University attained national prominence as an institution for higher education for blacks and continues to serve as a center of black culture in the state of West Virginia. Voluntary desegregation in 1954 created a distinctive "living laboratory of human relations," attracting a racially and culturally diverse student body, faculty, and staff. The University cherishes its unique history and its reputation for safeguarding academic freedom, for being innovative in its scholastic programs, for removing barriers to education, and providing leadership for women, minorities, and the handicapped. As the University has grown and evolved, to an enrollment of nearly 5,000 students, it has retained a degree of diversity unique among other West Virginia colleges and universities.

West Virginia State University has a proud history of educating international students and has alumni living in such countries as Thailand, Japan, Hong Kong, Trinidad, Jamaica, Gambia, Senegal, Spain, Virgin Islands, Czechoslovakia, Singapore, Barbados, Canada, Ecuador, Kenya, Korea, Germany, Liberia, Nigeria, China, Turkey, South Africa, Israel, India, Iran, Iraq, Malaysia, and the Philippines. The Office of International Affairs is available to assist international students with their individual needs.

During the past few years students, staff and faculty have participated in WVSU organized travel work study to England, Czech Republic, Russia, Venezuela, South Africa, Benin, Egypt, Guatemala, Mexico and Canada. The Drain-Jordan Libraryis currently engaged in a partnership with the National University of Benin library. The Department of Biologyas an exchange program with Exeter, England.

Multicultural Affairs provides programming designed to enhance student awareness of cultures, foods, and different ethnic groups. It also coordinates activities between international students, students with an international interest, and members of the greater community.

Academic Support

To meet the academic needs of a diverse student body, West Virginia State University provides an extensive network of support services. Each student has a personal academic adviser to assist with his/her curriculum choices. A trained staff of professional counselors in our Collegiate Support and Counseling Centeroffers guidance in personal and career matters.
Helping students succeed academically is the mission of the Peer Tutoring Center, which provides free, individualized tutoring from fellow students. The University also offers developmental studies courses for students who enter college needing improvement of certain skills. The Office of International Affairs has trained personnel to assist international students with their special needs.

Campus Living

The Universitys four residence halls offer a wide range of living possibilities. Students may purchase a meal plan to eat at the campus cafeteria or visit the Wilson University Union complex where they have access to snack bars, a game room and a student lounge. Computer labs are also available for use in the residence halls.

For more information, please contact the Office of International Affairs or the Office of Admission.

West Virginia State University
P.O. Box 1000
Institute, WV 25112
Website: www.wvstateu.edu
Telephone: Within USA (800) 987-2112
Outside of USA (304) 766-3221

Admission of International First-Time Freshmen or Transfer Students

  1. Application for Admission
  2. Official transcript(s) (original or “Certified True Copies”) of all academic records submitted directly to the Office of Admissions from all schools previously attended.  All foreign documents must be accompanied with an English translation by an approved foreign credential evaluation service.

           If a national examination is required upon the completion of schooling in the country of origin, official results of the examination must be
           submitted to WVSU.  (Students from countries with a General Certificate of Education (GCE) examination system must receive a grade of six or higher in at least five academic subjects, one of which must be English.)
      3.  Standardized Tests
          All students for whom English is not their native language must take either the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or the IELTS    
          Exam. On the TOEFL, a minimum of score 500 (paper-based exam), 173 (computer-based), or a 61 (Internet-based) is required. On the IELTS,  a minimum score of a 7 is required. These students may choose to submit the TOEFL or IELTS exam.
          Students for whom English is their first language must take and submit the SAT or ACT. A student who is unable to take the ACT examination before arriving to WVSU must do so at the first available testing date or the registration will be voided.
       4. Immunization Records
If admitted, the following documentation is required:
      1.  Financial Affidavit
      As an international student coming to the United States, you will need to secure an F-1 student visa. The F-1 student visa permits an individual to enter the United States for full-time study at an authorized institution in the United States. To obtain F-1 status, it is necessary to submit the following forms:
          •  Affidavit of Support with required documentation
          • Application for Form I-20
**International students transferring to West Virginia State University from another United States college must apply for immigration approval (Form I-538) and the F-1 Transfer Clearance Form prior to making the transfer.**

Financial Information for International Students

A student who is a non-U.S. citizen might qualify for need-based student financial aid programs under the following conditions: 
         • The student is a U.S. national (includes natives of American Samoa or Swain's Island). 
         • The student is a U.S. permanent resident with an Alien Registration Receipt Card (I-551 or I-551C). 
         • The student is an eligible non-citizen with an Arrival-Departure Record (I-94) from the Department of Homeland Security/U.S. Citizenship and
            Immigration Service (USCIS) showing one or more of the following designations:
               • Refugee
               • Asylum Granted
               • Cuban-Haitian Entrant, Status Pending
               • Conditional Entrant (valid only if issued before April 1, 1980)
               • Victims of Human Trafficking T-visa (T-2, T-3, T-4, etc.) Holder
               • Parolee (The student must be paroled into the United States for at least one year and must be able to provide evidence from the Dept. of Homeland Security/USCIS that he or she in the United States for other than a temporary purpose and intends to become a citizen or permanent resident.)
Eligibility notes: 
          1. If you have only a Notice of Approval to Apply for Permanent Residence (I-171 or I-464), you are not eligible for federal student aid.
          2. If you are in the United States on certain visas, including an F1 or F2 student visa or a J1 or J2 exchange visitor visa, you are not eligible for federal student aid.
          3. Persons with G-series visas (pertaining to international organizations) are not eligible. For more information about other types of visas that
              are not acceptable, check with your school's financial aid office.
          4. Citizens of the Federated States of Micronesia, the Republic of the Marshall Islands, and the Republic of Palau are eligible only for Federal Pell Grants, Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grants (FSEOGs) and Federal Work-Study; contact the Office of Financial Aid for more information.
          5. An Authorization for Parole document alone is not sufficient for financial aid.
©2014 West Virginia State University  |  P.O. Box 1000 Institute, WV 25112-1000  |  (800) 987-2112 | Mobile Site | Webmaster