Academics MENU

Registration & Records

Welcome and thank you for visiting our page.

Our staff is dedicated to assisting students, faculty, alumni and the West Virginia State University community through high quality customer service as well as helping the University achieve its academic mission. The goal of the Registrar’s Office is to effectively support our students in reaching their educational objectives, to develop and maintain processes related to student academic records, and to implement academic policies and procedures.
We are here to provide guidance and perform a variety of services for currently enrolled and former students, including registration information, graduation and degrees, forms and tools to facilitate students and their academic progress.
  • Management of student academic records
  • Assessment and conferral of degrees
  • Audit services for general education MyDegree@State
  • Consulting on academic policies and procedures
  • Registration of classes
  • Verification of enrollment
  • Providing official transcripts Order online
  • Determining transferability of courses using the Core Coursework Transfer Agreement and other documentation


How may we assist you?

You will find more information in the sections listed below concerning transcript requests, graduation information and applying in addition to important forms you may need:
image-up-arrowimage-down-arrowTranscript Requests

A transcript is an official academic record of an individual who has attended West Virginia State University. To protect your information and comply with FERPA regulations, your transcript will not be released without your written consent or online order that requires your signature. Transcripts cannot be requested by phone.

Ordering Information:

All financial holds must be cleared
Transcript requests will not be processed if you have a financial or another obligation (fees, fines, admission requirement or other reasons) to the University. For questions regarding your student financial account, please contact the Cashier’s Office at 304-766-3141. For Admissions holds, call (304) 204-4345.

Online requests

To best serve all of our current and former students, WVSU offers official transcripts requests through Transcripts on Demand (TOD) by Credentials eScrip-Safe. To help save you time, you can use this secure, online ordering service to efficiently request, pay for and send a transcript with a few easy steps. This will be typically the quickest way to send your transcript.


  • Access transcript ordering anytime, anywhere.
  • Request as many transcripts and as often as you like once you create a one-time ordering account.
  • Select your delivery option and fee.
  • Send your official transcript quickly and securely to a third-party, such as an employer, another institution or other agency.
Processing Time
The Registration and Records Office processes online transcript requests from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday. During peak season, (i.e August, December, January and May), processing time is typically 3-4 business days, depending on the volume of requests.

You will receive email notification of your order status. You also can check the status at any time at and select the “Review Past Orders” tab.

Using the preferred TOD method is secure, quick and convenient. It allows you to choose the delivery method, and fees are based on your preference of electronic or paper delivery.
Transcript pricing starts at $11*, and you are charged at the time of your order. You can use a major credit card to pay.
  • Electronic delivery (*$3 additional processing fee per transcript charged by Credentials e-Scrip-Safe.)
  • Paper delivery (cost to mail transcripts vary depending on shipping method) 

You must have the following to order a transcript online:

  • A valid major credit card
  • An email account
  • Your signed consent

How to Place an Online Transcript Request:

     Students with Access to MyState

  • Visit and enter your Student I.D. (A#) and password to begin.
  • Follow the step-by-step instructions provided by Credentials eScrip-Safe for placing your order. There is also a helpful FAQ link that answers common questions.
    • Fees and delivery options are provided.
    • Transcripts can be delivered electronically or by mail. We recommend that you use electronic delivery when possible.
    • A single session allows you to order as many transcripts as you like.

Students without Access to MyState

  • Go to
    • First time users must establish an account that will require your current/former names, address, student ID, dates of attendance and other information.
    • Before your first request can be processed, you also must complete a Consent Form and return/upload it as directed. This form is available when you create your account. The signed Consent Form remains on file with Credentials eScrip-Safe to cover your future WVSU transcript requests through this service.
  • Follow the instructions provided by Credentials eScrip-Safe for placing your order.
    • Fees and delivery options are provided.
    • Transcripts can be delivered electronically or by mail. We recommend that you use electronic delivery when possible.
    • A single session allows you to order as many transcripts as you like.
If you have questions or need additional assistance concerning Credentials eScrip-Safe’s transcript ordering service, please use the contact information below:
Credentials eScrip-Safe
9435 Waterstone Blvd., Ste. 260
Cincinnati, OH 45249
Consent forms:
(847) 716-3805
(847) 716-3710-fax

 Additional Options to Request Transcripts*

  • In Person - complete a WVSU transcript request form and bring it in. Forms also are available in the Office of Registration and Records, located at 128 Ferrell Hall.
  • By Mail - please use the Transcript Request Form  or call (304) 766-4146 for further instructions.

All transcripts not sent electronically are mailed via first class mail through the U.S. Postal Service.
Cost is $11 per transcript (there will additional cost if expedited mailing is requested.) Please bring photo I.D. if picking up a transcript in person. Any transcript picked up in person will be stamped “issued to student.”
Transcript requests will not be processed if you have a financial or another obligation (fees, fines, admission requirement or other reasons) to the University. For questions regarding your student financial account, please contact the Cashier’s Office at 304-766-3141. For Admissions holds, call (304) 204-4345.


Can someone else request or pick up my transcript? No one except the student may request a transcript, according to the regulations in The Family Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 (FERPA).
If you want WVSU to release your transcript to another individual to pick up, you must provide us with your written permission, specifying the complete name of who is retrieving the transcript on your behalf. That person must present a valid photo I.D.
Is my transcript official if I pick it up? All transcripts provided to students will bear the stamp, “Issued to Student.” Many academic institutions, employers or agencies do not consider these official.
Why can’t I request a transcript by phone? The Family Education Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 as Amended strictly prohibits transcripts being issued without the written consent of the student. An original signature of the student approving the release of the transcript is required. We cannot accept an electronic signature at this time.
Does the required transcript fee need to accompany the request? Transcript requests will not be processed unless accompanied by proper payment.  If requesting a transcript in person, the fee is paid at that time to the Cashier’s Office. Online requests require a major credit or debit card. Transcript requests that are mailed in must have a check or money order in the proper amount made payable to WVSU.
How can I request a transcript be held until the end of the current semester or graduation date so those grades or degree appear on my transcript? Select the appropriate option on the online ordering system or official transcript request form and your request will be held until grades appear or your degree is posted. If you do not choose that selection, then your request will be processed immediately.
If I am enrolled in the current semester, do those classes appear on my transcript? The classes that you taking now or courses that you pre-registered for next semester will appear on your transcript as “In Progress.” 


The forms on this page are for official use only, and you must have Adobe Acrobat Reader installed on your computer to access the forms. Many now are fillable PDF files.

Instructions: Click on the gold form name to begin. We currently do not accept digital signatures, however, so you may complete the form online and then print it out and sign. If you choose to handwrite the form, please print clearly.
You must return all forms to our office located at 128 Ferrell Hall or mail to the following address:
Registration and Records
West Virginia State University
128 Ferrell Hall
P.O. Box 1000
Institute, WV 25112-1000
  • Change of Major (Student Data Sheet) - current students wanting to change their major or those who were undecided and now want to declare a major must use this form. (fillable PDF)
  • Course Substitution/Waiver Form - this form is to request authorization to substitute a course or to waive a requirement in a program of study. (fillable PDF)
  • Curriculum Catalog Change Request - a student admitted under a given catalog may request permission of the college dean through the department chair to make a complete change to new degree requirements (e.g., general studies, major, minor and cognates) reflected in a new catalog. (fillable PDF)
  • FERPA - this is the official FERPA release form.(fillable PDF)
  • Readmission Application - submit this to Registration and Records located at 128 Ferrell Hall. (fillable PDF)
  • Repeated Course Form - a student repeating a course should notify the Registration Office so that his/her grade point average may be recalculated. (fillable PDF)
  • Replacement Diploma Request - this is for awarded degrees only. Complete and submit the information to the Registration Office along with $37 fee. (fillable PDF)
  • Request for Pass/Fail and Audit - student may elect to register for a class through the pass/fail option or by auditing. Signed form must be filed with the Registration Office at the time of registration. (fillable PDF)
  • Request to Withhold Student Directory Information - to have information withheld from the student directory, fill out this form. (fillable PDF)
  • Residency Classification Application (fillable PDF)
    • read WV HEPC Procedural Rule regarding residency classification prior to completing residency classification application.
  • Student Evaluation Statement
  • Transcript Request - we currently cannot accept digital signatures, so complete this form, print and mail to the Registration and Records Office at the address listed above. (fillable PDF) The cost of each transcript is $11. For fastest delivery, please visit our online transcript request service at (additional processing fee applies.)
image-up-arrowimage-down-arrowGraduation Information

Graduation marks an important milestone for recognizing your academic achievement. Graduates are encouraged to be a part of commencement and to share their accomplishment with family and friends. Congratulations on your hard work!

To make the process go smoothly, review the information below. Be sure to follow all instructions.


Graduation Requirements and Policy

Students must check with their academic advisor prior to submitting an application for graduation to make sure all requirements have been met.
If you are eligible for academic honors, a designation will be noted on your diploma, and you will be able to wear gold honor cords along with your academic regalia for commencement.

For all official graduation policies, including undergraduate degree and certificate requirements as well as honors/academic recognition, please refer to the University Academic Catalog.

Published Deadlines

Current year application deadlines are listed in the academic calendar.

Application for Graduation

Eligible students must file an Application for Graduation by the deadline for the semester in which you expect to complete your degree requirements.

The Application for Graduation is available in the Office of Registration and Records, 128 Ferrell Hall.  

Diploma Note: You will be asked to provide your "full name" on the application. Be sure to print your name exactly as you wish it to appear on your diploma.  Make sure that your name is spelled correctly, including any punctuation.

Once you submit the form to the Registrar's Office, you will receive an acknowledgement card that you will take to the Cashier’s office to pay your graduation $160 fee. 

Application Fee

All prospective graduates must pay a graduation application fee, regardless of whether they intend to participate in commencement or whether they wish to receive a cap and gown. The non-refundable fee is $160 and must be paid at the Cashier’s window. Present your payment receipt to the bookstore to pick up your cap and gown. You will receive instructions for picking up your cap and gown later in the semester.

If you do not qualify for your degree the semester in which you originally apply, you must submit a new application for graduation by the deadline in the semester that you will meet the requirements for your degree. If you have already paid your graduation fee, you will not need to submit another graduation fee to re-apply for the next term.

Financial Obligations

Financial obligations to the university must be cleared before graduation. Nonpayment of fees will result in the withholding of grades, transcripts, diplomas and certifications.



A graduation ceremony is held each year in May and December in the D. Stephen and Diane H. Walker Convocation Center, on the main campus in Institute.
To participate in commencement, a student must have completed or be currently attending all courses necessary to satisfy degree requirements.
Students finishing in the spring semester are eligible to participate in the May ceremony. If requirements are completed during the summer, you may participate in the December ceremony. Summer graduate diplomas will be mailed to you by approximately the end of August. Students completing requirements in the fall semester are eligible to participate in the December commencement.
You will need to indicate your intent to take part in the ceremony on your graduation application and provide your measurements for your cap and gown.
Wearing academic regalia is a formal, time-honored tradition, so to preserve the dignity of the occasion, no type of modifications are allowed. Only cap with tassle, gown and University-issued academic honor cords may be worn.  Cords for students graduating with honors will be available for students to pick up from the Registrar’s Office the afternoon prior to graduation day. 

Ceremony Instructions

A few weeks before graduation, all prospective graduates will be emailed further instructions from Academic Affairs with details about the commencement schedule, guest ticket information, when to pick up your cap and gown from the Bookstore, etc. Closer to the ceremony, you may receive additional emails containing any updates.


image-up-arrowimage-down-arrowQuick Links

Our Team

Ms. Donna L. Hunter
Ms. Donna L.  Hunter
Registrar/ Director of Registration and Records
(304) 766-4146
Ms. Denise Johnson
Ms. Denise  Johnson
Records Assistant III
(304) 766-4149
Ms. Cynthia Reynolds
Ms. Cynthia  Reynolds
Records Assistant III
(304) 766-4146
Ms. Traci West-McCombs
Ms. Traci  West-McCombs
Associate Registrar
(304) 766-4146
Registration & Records


128 Ferrell Hall
(304) 766-4146
Fall and Spring Semester Hours:
Monday - Friday: 8:30 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
Saturday and Sunday: Closed

Summer Hours:
Monday - Friday:
8:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.

Mailing Address: 
West Virginia State University
128 Ferrell Hall
P.O. Box 1000
Institute, WV 25112-1000

Transcripts on Demand
(request transcripts online)

Scroll to Top