West Virginia State University | West Virginia State University

ROTC commissions officers for the Army, National Guard, and Army Reserves.
There are multiple paths to join ROTC, tailored to the circumstances of each student.   It is generally a 4 year program, but in some cases it can be completed in 2 years.

Read about the options below.
Want to know more, contact us!

Bill Kinsey
Enrollment Officer
Ferguson-Lincoln Bldg
(304) 766-3295


Basic Program (Progression)
This is the basic ROTC program and it is completed while the prospective cadet is pursuing his/her degree. It consists of two parts, the Basic Course and the Advanced Course.

The Basic Course consists of the freshman and sophomore ROTC classes. During the Basic Course, the prospective cadet is not obligated to the US Army in any way, and receives no financial incentives or compensation. Learn More!

The Advanced Course consists of the junior and senior ROTC classes, and at this point the cadet must sign a contract and obligate himself/herself to accept a commission in the US Army, Army Reserve, or National Guard (which type of commission is determined during the senior year by a centralized board, with no guarantees as to which component a cadet will commission).  Learn more!

Lateral Entry
Veterans, members of the Guard or Reserves, and some other select personnel may be eligible to enter the ROTC Advanced Course directly.

Must have ROTC Basic Course placement credit (the most common is prior service in any branch of the military or current membership in the Guard/Reserves).

Must have at least 2 years of college remaining on entry into the ROTC Advanced Course.

Contact us to see if this option applies to you!

Simultaneous Membership Program (SMP)
A subset of the Lateral Entry program.  Under this program a cadet is in ROTC, pursuing a commission, and is also a member of the National Guard or Army Reserve.  The prospective cadet can take the freshman ROTC classes, but is not eligible to sign an ROTC contract until he/she is at least an academic sophomore.

Prospective SMP cadets must already be in the National Guard or Army Reserve, or be willing to enlist prior to joining ROTC.

No earlier than the sophomore year, but no later than the junior year of college, the cadet must sign a contract and obligate himself/herself to accept a commission in the US Army, Army Reserve, or National Guard.

While completing the ROTC program, the SMP cadet continues to train with his/her National Guard or Reserve unit, receives drill pay, and retains most education benefits.


©2016 West Virginia State University  |  P.O. Box 1000 Institute, WV 25112-1000  |  (800) 987-2112 | Mobile Site | Webmaster